Robin Eley

Love this series by London-born illustrator Robin Eley! As you may have noticed by now, I have a huge thing for hyper-realism. That said, I get a little wary of  hyper-realistic works that are pretty much just photographic looking copies of a scene or subject, because I think they sometimes rely a bit too much on the technical skill and shock factor to carry them. I think this set of works - which are all oil on linen - do a great job of avoiding that problem by balancing amazing technical skill with just the right amount of abstraction and invention. Robin has some other works on his site that also feature plastic, in this case, wrapped around various models, but there's something particularly compelling to me about the simplicity in these works in particular. - Elizabeth







0 comments:

Post a Comment