Tadahiro Uesugi

Sometimes I feel bad that I started my blog (which I guess is something of a catalog of artists I love) after I'd already found some of my favorite illustrators, so I hope you won't mind if I sometimes post about people who aren't necessarily new or unknown. Not to say that I haven't been posting about old loves for a while, because I have! But I guess I just want to articulate my thoughts about how important I think it is to revisit artists whose works you haven't seen in a while and see how you identify with them differently now that both your and their styles have (inevitably) evolved.

Anyways, since I'm on a sort of retro-kick at the moment, famed Japanese illustrator Tadahiro Uesugi I think he is the absolute quintessential 1950's inspired contemporary illustrator. He's Japanese himself, but his pieces all have an incredibly European vibe, and have such amazingly thought out color schemes and compositions, with perfect angle cutting across the piece and bringing your eye around the page. His work has been in a whole slew of publications, including Vogue and Cosmopolitan, and he was also the visual designer for 2009 stop-motion film Coraline, which basically means he came up with the initial ideas and colors and designs for dozens of aspects of the movie. His website is slightly confusing and also in Japanese, but is worth a look regardless, of course. Hope you find him to be as much of an old favorite as I do!
- Elizabeth

0 comments:

Post a Comment